Monday, January 17, 2011

The wake,the park & Axolotls

The story we had to read about the family who takes over the whole funeral I could really relate too. I felt like I was part of the family. There have been times before when my family has gone and taken over something. Not to the extreme that this family took over but still something significant. I know what it is like to have something that you want to do and have be taken from you. Society is a lot like this today in many aspects. People always act like this and want to take over and become in charge, even when it is not their right to do so. It's how a lot of society is being brought up. They are control freaks. Not only that they are taking something that is important and defacing the value of how important it is. This story really represented the realism.

In The Continuity of Parks it was so hard to follow at first. But once I reread it I really understood where the author was going at. I got almost so wrapped up in the story that I thought I was the one in the chair for a brief moment. Cortazar does a great job at changing the entire story up. To do something this great and have it done correctly takes a lot of skill. I enjoyed reading this story. It really goes to show you how magical realism can trick your mind. Stories like this need to be written more often.

In the last book we read, Axolotis, it really showed magical realism. Cortazar takes you into a place and uses the fish as an example to show you people change. He does this in great detail up until the last paragraph where the narrator becomes one. It was so interesting to show how the guy related to them. The way he described everything really makes you seem that you are in the story and it's not just talking about the fish like creatures.

1 comment:

  1. I like your comment about how magical realism can trick your mind. And it can do it in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete