Monday, February 21, 2011

Like Water For Chocolate- The Book

The novel "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquirel I thought was such a good book to read. I recommend it to anyone who likes a good romance story. The recipes throughout the novel were very good! It made me want to go out and make them. Without them it would have been a completely different story. The fact that the emotion you have when cooking affects what others think when they eat your food is very interesting. I know some people really do believe in this. The magical realism in it was great. It really sucked you into the story and made you believe in the food. Throughout the whole story I really felt like Tita should have ended up with John. He treated her good and would do anything for her. It made me very mad that Pedro married her sister. I don't think that was very appropriate of him to do. Also, the men in the story were not given very many lines. I found that interesting because it made it more about the women then the men, which I liked.

The whole title "Like Water for Chocolate" I found was very interesting. I took it as another way though then what we discussed in class. I agree that Pedro is the chocolate and Tita is the water, she definitely has her moments when she is boiling over but then all is calm again. But also the story talked about how you can use milk to mix in the chocolate instead. I found this to be Rosaura since he marries her and everything is still okay, but he doesn't get the same reaction as when he is mixed with Tita (the boiling water). Also chocolate is believed by some to make you go crazy in love. It is known as an aphrodisiac to some. Which makes is why Tita goes crazy for Pedro all the time. All in all the book title is perfect and it goes along great with recipes.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that John might have made for a more tranquil relationship, but that would have made a boring story, no? That's the thing about literature: they give us these fraught relationships that make us agonize, and then we can look at our tranquil, boring, but happy, lives and go, "Whew. I guess daily life is pretty sweet."

    ReplyDelete