Monday, May 2, 2011

Nervous Conditions

The story we are reading "Nervous Conditions" is an interesting one. It discusses a lot of different problems in it. Everything from education to gender roles to tradition. It's so interesting to see how things go throughout the story. The society they live in is so different than ours is here today.

The main character who I could mostly relate to is Tambu. She is such an interesting person. I value the fact that she got to finally go away to school and that she is liking it so much. She is very open to the idea of change and adapting greatly. I myself am the same way. I'm always up for change I like the fact that the story can be viewed as an autobiography from the writer herself. All the young girl wants is to make something of herself and not be like everyone else in her family. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to do it. She's such a unique person. Especially after she doesn't even care that her brother is dead. I get that some people experience things a little differently and handle it differently but its so interesting that this is how she deals with it. I personally myself experience things this way. I tend to not let things bother me and try to hide it as much as I can. I can't wait to read more and see where this character continues to go.

1 comment:

  1. You make a good observation about how Tambu is good at adapting to different situations. Adapting is a way to get ahead, but the costs are what Dangarembga is concerned with. You do a good job summarizing Tambu's situation and your parallel, but the detail seems to be light. When you write your film reviews, see if you can go into a little more support of your assertions: readers really like that, and you'll get a lot of readers on the IMDB.

    ReplyDelete